Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dealing with Undesirables

I walked a one and a half block gauntlet of "bumbushes" between the MARTA Station and my office for 2 years. Sometimes as many as six bums would have their ambush positions staked out along the way. There were seldom less than three. So I did a lot (~ 6 average daily) of evolutions on this subject, although not generally with intensely hostile opponents.

I was actively searching for those places The Most Dangerous Man describes as "points of likely cover." PoLC and surveillance detection are more useful concepts to me than the nebulous "situational awareness" commonly parroted. Of course, "meeting engagements" occur but I think they are the exception rather than the rule. MEs are best fielded by surveilling access points, such as stop and rob doorways, or searching for environmental anomalies.

As soon as the bums started to make their move, which was, as Dr. Edward Hall said, at the far edge of social space (12 feet), I would make my counter. I didn't even want to speak with them, so the technique I developed was to extend my left arm out, not quite straight elbow, with palm out toward them and fingers slightly spread. Hand was high enough that it nearly intersected the eye-target line. I would just shake my head NO at them. No verbal communication exchanged and I never broke stride. They almost always backed off. Had a few late at night that I had to reinforce with "GET AWAY" or "NO."

That's my take on "the fence" and how I teach it. Maybe I just look mean. I do think the posture aspect is relevant.

I have had a few that involved weapons (guns or knives) access. In those cases, either my body language or verbiage was quite clear that Serious Bodily Injury was forthcoming. No one wanted to take me up on that.

I think a lot of problems arise when people don't set their boundaries early enough or firmly enough. People who can't control dogs or discipline children are going to have a hard time dissuading criminals.

A discussion of proxemics and setting boundaries early is appropriate for most people. Early in my military career, I was introduced to the concept of "attrit the enemy at the maximum effective range of your weapons" and that's a good maxim IMO. Most people default to "don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes," which is a big mistake. They hesitate until the decision is forced upon them instead of emulating J.B. Books. It forces them into monkey brain thinking instead of managing the encounter while they are still capable of rational thought and execution.

No comments:

Post a Comment